Best character in fantasy literature

umm.. huh? (Stale threads removed after 180 days)

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Event DM

tindertwiggy
Legacy DM
Legacy DM

Best character in fantasy literature

Post by tindertwiggy » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:00 pm

Who is your favorite character(s) from fantasy literature. Who floats your boat? Tickles you pickle? Who makes a series worth reading for you? I hope to get a new book/series to read out of this thread, so post! ((While I encourage people to keep the thread ~~relatively~~ spoiler free, there are probably spoilers from here on out.))

I'll start with one that fans seem to absolutely love or hate (to the point where the author addressed it on his website): Karsa Orlong from the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. Karsa starts out a capable but hot headed barbarian descending from his mountain clans to raid the more civilized lowlands. He is betrayed by hubris, spends time as a body guard filling in the scenery, then finds his purpose and goes on an unending arc of bad-assery that ends with a string of dead monsters and the pantheon permanently altered. All along this journey he's a laconic noble savage whose interactions with the more civilized around him range hilarious to abhorrent. I fully recommend the series, though Karsa does not appear until book three or so. Be warned that you are dropped into the middle of a deeply, deeply fleshed out world and plot so it can be a rough start. I enjoyed Karssa's arc enough to go back and reread it years later, something I normally never do with fantasy books.

So, who you got?
Happiness is baked with one part bat guano, one part sulfur.

Sephira
Major Event DM
Major Event DM
Timezone: US Eastern, -5/-4
DM Avatar: Yeraiah

Re: Best character in fantasy literature

Post by Sephira » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:27 pm

Death from Discworld

On the Disc, a flat world sitting atop four elephants, themselves perched upon the turtle Great A'Tuin, belief has power.

Which is how you end up with Anoia, Goddess of Things That Get Stuck in Drawers, dragons cramped into a pocket dimension because people stopped believing they existed, and many anthropomorphized personifications. The most well known of which is Death, who speaks in ALL CAPS.
Hogfather by Terry Pratchett wrote:"All right," said Susan. "I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need... fantasies to make life bearable."

REALLY? AS IF IT WAS SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

"Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little—"

YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.

"So we can believe the big ones?"

YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.

"They're not the same at all!"

YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET—Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.

"Yes, but people have got to believe that, or what's the point—"

MY POINT EXACTLY."
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett

Ghostie
CCC
CCC
Timezone: CEST

Post by Ghostie » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:53 pm

Karsa: Witness!

Tough choice though, there are a lot of characters. But ...

I'll go for Kaladin Stormblessed from the epic fantasy series by Brandon Sanderson, the Stormlight Archive. Raised to be a surgeon by his father, his life is turned on its head when he volunteers to join the army to protect his younger brother, who had been forcefully drafted into the forces because of a grudge the local lord against his family. He's determined to protect his brother and his men in various trying circumstances and use his skills as an apprentice surgeon to do so.

I really don't want to spoil anything so I'll leave it at that, but he's such a well written character, and his flaws are sometimes uncomfortably relatable. He goes through some crazy, crazy shit, and woah is it worth the ride. I highly recommend the series.
Your password must contain at least 8 letters, a capital, a plot, a protagonist with good character development, a twist, and a happy ending.

JollyOrc
CCC
CCC
Timezone: Europe, CE(S)T

Post by JollyOrc » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:51 pm

tindertwiggy wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:00 pm
Who is your favorite character(s) from fantasy literature. Who floats your boat? Tickles you pickle? Who makes a series worth reading for you?
Kvothe. Always Kvothe. (There would be a third iteration of this, but DAMN YOU PAT FOR WRITING SO SLOW! Giving us just one book without any dialogue IS NOT ENOUGH! Even though I love Auri.)

*edit, because this is just so right on the nose in everything:
My name is Kvothe, pronounced nearly the same as “Quothe.” Names are important as they tell you a great deal about a person. I’ve had more names than anyone has a right to.

The Adem call me Maedre. Which, depending on how it’s spoken, can mean “The Flame,” “The Thunder,” or “The Broken Tree.”

“The Flame” is obvious if you’ve ever seen me. I have red hair, bright. If I had been born a couple hundred years ago I would probably have been burned as a demon. I keep it short but it’s unruly. When left to its own devices, it sticks up and makes me look as if I have been set afire.

“The Thunder” I attribute to a strong baritone and a great deal of stage training at an early age.

I’ve never thought of “The Broken Tree” as very significant. Although in retrospect I suppose it could be considered at least partially prophetic.

My first mentor called me E’lir because I was clever and I knew it. My first real lover called me Dulator because she liked the sound of it. I have been called Shadicar, Lightfinger, and Six-String. I have been called Kvothe the Bloodless, Kvothe the Arcane, and Kvothe Kingkiller. I have earned those names. Bought and paid for them.

But I was brought up as Kvothe. My father once told me it meant “to know.”

I have, of course, been called many other things. Most of them uncouth, although very few were unearned.

I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.

You may have heard of me.
If you want more urban fantasy, you can't go wrong with Harry Dresden IMHO. (The roleplaying game for this is ballers too.)

And yes, everything Ghostie said about Kaladin.

tizmo
CCC Lead
CCC Lead
Timezone: GMT-4

Post by tizmo » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:32 am

I'll give a huge +1 to Kvothe, and also add Ender to the mix.

I read almost all of the books in the Enderverse. I started with the Ender series and from there spread out into the related stories. Ender is a young boy with very high intelligence who is selected to enter "Battle School"; a military leadership training system that starts 'em young. A lot of the books are based on stories of war, genocide, and military dogmas, but the adept reader will enjoy how those environments are used to challenge and test different theories in psychology, sociology, leadership, friendship, and characteristics of belief.

eternal_time
Major Event DM
Major Event DM
Timezone: CDT/CST
DM Avatar: Titania

Post by eternal_time » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:59 am

tizmo wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:32 am
I'll give a huge +1 to Kvothe, and also add Ender to the mix.

I read almost all of the books in the Enderverse. I started with the Ender series and from there spread out into the related stories. Ender is a young boy with very high intelligence who is selected to enter "Battle School"; a military leadership training system that starts 'em young. A lot of the books are based on stories of war, genocide, and military dogmas, but the adept reader will enjoy how those environments are used to challenge and test different theories in psychology, sociology, leadership, friendship, and characteristics of belief.
I LOVE the Ender series! I actually teach Ender's Game to my 8th graders every year.
Player of Rosemary Latonen, Anastasia (Falcon), Emma de Baskervyle, Calithien Fein, and Ileana Blackwell

Manuel the White
Major Event DM
Major Event DM
Timezone: CST
DM Avatar: Ra-Ghul

Post by Manuel the White » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:22 am

JollyOrc wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:51 pm
If you want more urban fantasy, you can't go wrong with Harry Dresden IMHO. (The roleplaying game for this is ballers too.)
Like a lot of good authors, Butcher's early books were not his best. It takes him a couple to really hit his stride. That said, there are now _15_ books in the series. And, after a 5 year hiatus, Butcher is releasing 2 more this year. Hell yeah! Preordered because polka will never die!

GunnJ
Sage

Post by GunnJ » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:53 am

Manuel the White wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:22 am
JollyOrc wrote:
Like a lot of good authors, Butcher's early books were not his best. It takes him a couple to really hit his stride. That said, there are now _15_ books in the series. And, after a 5 year hiatus, Butcher is releasing 2 more this year. Hell yeah! Preordered because polka will never die!
The TV show was pretty good too, I thought, given the constraints of tv budgets and trying to translate the books to a visual audience.
“If you can’t take the heat, don’t tickle the dragon.”

Ghostie
CCC
CCC
Timezone: CEST

Post by Ghostie » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:58 am

JollyOrc wrote:
Kvothe. Always Kvothe.
Admittedly yes, I was also thinking of Kvothe, however Kaladin was obviously my choice. ;)
I loved the Slow Regard of Silent Things. I just wish the next/last book had any kind of ETA. I think what I love the most about Sanderson is his transparency with his progress, and he's just so damn prolific.
Your password must contain at least 8 letters, a capital, a plot, a protagonist with good character development, a twist, and a happy ending.

JollyOrc
CCC
CCC

Post by JollyOrc » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:13 pm

Ghostie wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:58 am
I think what I love the most about Sanderson is his transparency with his progress, and he's just so damn prolific.
Sanderson is great at plots, characters and world building.

Rothfuss is good at that too, but it his use of language that propels his books to the top of my "most beloved fantasy" list. Also, Kvothes problems are, overall, delightfully petty. Will he get the girl? Can he cope with the bullying? The fact that we know he'll end up killing a king somewhere along the way makes this even more interesting.

Hamlet
QA/Module Lead/PH
QA/Module Lead/PH

Post by Hamlet » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:21 pm

The thing is, I have plenty of favorite fantasy books from which I have no favorite characters. X:|

The Malazan Book(s) of the Fallen have literally made me put down a book and weep. *High-fives Anomandari.* Unlike the Discworld novels. Although from those in particular, it is specific character pairings or conflicts that have caught my attention rather than the characters for themselves. Mappo and Icarium. Cotillion and Kellanved. Whsikeyjack and the entire 9th Squad of the Bridgeburners. Anyone who'd stick it to the gods & god-like powers of Encyclopaedia Malazica vs. the gods & god-like powers. (Let's not fill a page). Discworld's Cmdr. Samuel Vimes and Lord Havelock Vetinari.

But if I have a singular favorite, it is a much lighter staple. It is a childhood favorite, no less. That would be Prince Corwin from Zelazny's "Chronicles of Amber", at the sweet spot between Frank Herbert and William Shakespeare's Princes. The thing about Corwin? He doesn't change. Only the volume does, and the world(s) around him. All the charm. All the intrigue. All the win. Eleven years old me figured that's who I wanted to be when I grew up. 8-)

"Why had no one ever come up with a way to change the basic nature of man? Even the erasure of all my memories and a new life in a new world had resulted in the same old Corwin. If I were not happy with what I was it could be a proposition worthy of despair..."

Calzier
CCC
CCC
Timezone: GMT/BST

Post by Calzier » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:09 pm

Similarly, its hard to pick a favourite, but I'm going to go with Sparrowhawk (Ged) from A Wizard of Earthsea. There are lots of reasons, but without this book, I'm not sure whether I'd have picked up that DnD basic set with the green dragon on the cover.

Zayna
Whiney Peasant
Timezone: Europe

Post by Zayna » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:24 pm

Fantasy lit top list time? *squee* My kindle's been melting from overuse during the quarantine so... There's no way I'm gonna pick a number one because I'm terrible at picking anything but I can manage a top... 20? I'll try to actually not include anyone already mentioned like Kaladin or Corwin or Ged or...

Sorry for the wall of text...

1. Phèdre, Kushiel's Dart (Linguist, scholar, spy, divinely cursed courtesan)
2. Mara, Daughter of the Empire (Young woman forced to lead a noble house in blood feud)
3. Jorg Angrath, Prince of Thorns (Sociopath exile prince on revenge journey)
4. Essun, Fifth Season (Earthquakemancer mom is not amused)
5. FitzChivalry, Assassin's Apprentice (Unlucky and sad bastard prince gets no breaks)
6. Yennefer, Witcher books (Best sorceress!)
7. Yeine Darr, Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (Noblewoman gets into intrigue with gods)
8. Sand dan Glokta, The Blade Itself (bitter crippled swordsman has to live by wits only)
9. Heloise, Armored Saint (Conflicted teen girl, magical mecha suit, grimdark oppression)
10. Monza, Best Served Cold (Mercenary captain ganks anyone who ever crossed her)
11. Roland Deschain, Dark Tower (Stephen King's mythic traveling antihero)
12. Narrator, Birthgrave (Post-apocalyptic amnesiac becomes accidental goddess)
13. Lady, Black Company (Apparent Big Bad of the story and something more)
14. Kellhus, The Darkness that Comes Before (Superhuman psycho pretends to be messiah)
15. Marith, The Court of Broken Knives (Junkie disaster becomes apolypse)
16. Hari / Caine, Heroes Die (Mythic assassin is really a just depressed actor)
17. Nona, Red Sister (Angry teen girl goes to Murder Nun Hogwarts)
18. Cazaril, The Curse of Chalion (Tormented former knight tries to learn to live again)
19. Sam or Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings (can't pick from LoTR characters)
20. Brandin, Tigana (Tragic and romantic antagonist mage Big Bad)

Okay, looking back at that guess I like my fantasy on sad side. Huh.

JollyOrc
CCC
CCC

Post by JollyOrc » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:39 pm

Zayna wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:24 pm
I am re-reading this one right now and still pleasantly surprised how much plot there is in the first book alone.

Zayna
Whiney Peasant

Post by Zayna » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:40 pm

JollyOrc wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:39 pm
Zayna wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:24 pm
I am re-reading this one right now and still pleasantly surprised how much plot there is in the first book alone.
It really feels like there's enough turns and plots for 3 normal books in there, and it still doesn't feel overfilled. Love that book so much, and the rest of them.

bolo
Team Member; Retired with Honors
Timezone: est -5 gmt

Post by bolo » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:58 pm

I can't really pin down just one, and I have to admit I haven't done much reading at all in the last few years except for some Stephen King and Robert McCammon ( loved Boy's Life).

When I was a kid and just started reading I so wanted to be Christopher Robbin running around with Pooh and friends or Tommy Stubbins hanging out with Doctor Doolittle.

Later on, my fave characters came to be Regis Hastur and his friend Lew Alton from Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover book. Regis was the first character I came to love who was very different from me. Regis was a gay male and I hadn't thought of gay people in that light, as real people with emotions and hopes and dreams ( hey I grew up in a very ignorant family full of racists and bigots). It gave me a bit of perspective on how people are the same inside. In my teen years, I absolutely loved those stories, particularly Children of Hastur and Sharra's Exile.

Honestly, in the years since, I haven't had a "favourite" character, just ones I come to love until the next book or story. Just about any major character from Anne McCaffrey's Pern books is great, so well written. probably my favourite since then would be Dream from Gaiman's Sandman books. Even though it's a comic book ( or graphic novel) it has a very literary feel to it. Throughout that whole series, I kept going between Dream and Death as my faves.
Currently on Eastern Time - 5 GMT.
Player of :
Sha-ek Brug'tall, Seraphim hopeful
Gloo'Ruk Bouldabringa , Half Ogre Bardbarian
Arlo Cogswort, Gnome Life Forever!

PlasmaJohn
Team Member; Retired with Honors; Has a Tom Selleck Stache
Timezone: US/Eastern

Post by PlasmaJohn » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:15 pm

Manuel the White wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:22 am
POLKA WILL NEVER DIE!

and... "... is releasing 2 more this year." finally

The world doesn't need another Janissaries debacle where the final book in the series, Mamelukes, was released 30 years later, literally one week ago (2020-06-02), three years after its author Dr. Jerry Pournelle passed away.
Calvin: This is so cool!
Hobbes: This is so stupid.

Tel
Scholar
Timezone: GMT-5

Post by Tel » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:35 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Darkness_Series
Harry Turtledove's primarily an alternate history author, who wrote a fantasy take on WW2. I really like the way he uses his storytelling to get across the breadth of the narrative. One of my favorite characters we get to see grow up in the time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_D ... rs#Ealstan
Teleniel (Rockfall Trading), Artemis Hornbow (Hornbow Archery), Tomnan (Outsider's Arcana)
Kaaran Arusak (Justicar of Toran), Vayarus Iliphine (Blue Order of the Sky - Initiate)
Agatte Grantie Carver (Elemental Shifter), Shigo

Lorewarden
Prince of Bloated Discourse

Post by Lorewarden » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:45 pm

Prince Kheldar from the Belgariad series and the follow up the Mallorean by David Eddings
Thomas Covenant from The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever by Stephen R Donaldson

Agree with the Ender series (at least the first three)
Pug and Thomas from the Riftwar Saga, by Raymond E Feist (had tons of his midkemia press stuff)
*player of Liam Wefess*

Auriane
Apprentice Scholar
Timezone: pacific

Post by Auriane » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:24 am

The Lorewarden wrote: "Prince Kheldar from the Belgariad series and the follow up the Mallorean by David Eddings,
Thomas Covenant from The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever by Stephen R Donaldson
Thomas Covenant ..what an epic series. And David Eddings. (my daughter read both series when she was 8 )

My favourite character is from The Sword of Truth series, Richard Rahl and Kahlan Amnell, by Terry Goodkind such an amazing talent for writing description.
Player of Glorandrea Aersinith
Abatha RubyShields
Giacona
Owner of Friends of the Forest near Brunar's Bears!

May ye always find a Friend in the forest!

silverfields2
Master Sage
Timezone: GMT -5

Post by silverfields2 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:54 am

Corwin - The Chronicles of Amber/ Roger Zelazny

Edit: And Grace Dane always made me think of Fiona and Flora
I think it needs salt.

Manuel the White
Major Event DM
Major Event DM
Timezone: CST
DM Avatar: Ra-Ghul

Post by Manuel the White » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:32 pm

Lorewarden wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:45 pm
Prince Kheldar from the Belgariad series and the follow up the Mallorean by David Eddings
Pug and Thomas from the Riftwar Saga, by Raymond E Feist (had tons of his midkemia press stuff)
Funny, I read these back-to-back in this sequence!

Speaking of S. Donaldson, Terisa and Geraden featured in The Mirror of Her Dreams. Superb.

Zayna
Whiney Peasant

Post by Zayna » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:10 pm

Can't believe I forgot the Donaldson characters. Terisa is super underappreciated because people don't get her and see her as too 'passive'.

nihprodne
Apprentice Scholar
Timezone: MT

Post by nihprodne » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:51 pm

NO!!!

Auriane
Apprentice Scholar
Timezone: pacific

Post by Auriane » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:03 pm

Along the same lines as Donaldson, I forgot to mention "The Mirror of her dreams"
truly a fantastical fantasy in all ways. Donaldson knows how to twist.

Rereading the sword of truth - Wizards first rule, it's such an amazing book and just as good if not better through the second read.

-------
Player of Glorandrea Aersinith
Abatha RubyShields
Giacona
Owner of Friends of the Forest near Brunar's Bears!

May ye always find a Friend in the forest!