Disk Active Time 100%

umm.. huh? (Stale threads removed after 30 days)

Moderators: Nighthawk4, Dungeon Masters

Deider
Senior DM
Senior DM
Timezone: GMT -8
DM Avatar: Fegall

Disk Active Time 100%

Post by Deider » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:18 am

I noticed lag on my end when I was DMing Friday night, which got worse Saturday morning. In the Task Manager my computer's disk active time is almost constantly 100%, which is slowing everything down. I've tried a few things - checkdisk, windows cleanup, windows update, disabling antivirus - but nothing has worked. Any suggestions? I'm running Windows 10 Home.
I like gnomes.

Sarmanos
Team Member; Retired with Honors
Timezone: GMT -5

Re: Disk Active Time 100%

Post by Sarmanos » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:27 am

Get a new hard drive and back up your stuff or image the current disk to it asap. Pretty good sign your hard drive is on its way out and it could be sooner rather than later, but they can chug on awhile in that state. It could also be a bogged down bad windows install that might be resolved by a clean windows reinstall but better safe than sorry if nothing in task manager is an obvious culprit.

Could also try doing an anti-virus or malware scan if you don't already have programs for that running. Though more likely I suspect it is failing hardware.
Vetinari: I have noted before that you have a definite anti-authoritarian streak, Commander.
Vimes: Sir?
Vetinari: You seem to have retained this even though you are Authority.
Vimes: Sir?
Vetinari: That's practically Zen.

Gorgon
CCC - Special Projects Manager
Timezone: PST -8

Post by Gorgon » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:25 am

If Windows 10 search indexing is running on your PC, that can make your drives chug along for a good long while when it is indexing things. There are various articles out there about it, like this one: Manage Windows 10 Search Indexing. If you must have it enabled, I'd recommend at least excluding the NWN directory. You can do that from the "indexing options" in your control panel (or just search for that - see the article link for better instructions).

You can also disable file content indexing on each drive (partition) on its properties page (right-click the drive and select properties). There should be a checkbox for "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties". Untick that and select "all files and subfolders" when it asks after.

You said you disabled antivirus which would have stopped on-access scanning, but could it have been running a scheduled system scan at the time? That usually doesn't stop if you just disable the on-access virus scanning. Any other scheduled things might be the issue too, so maybe check the event logs at that time to see what might have been running?
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."
-- Stephen William Hawking (b. 1942) --

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Avlis Theme Song~ The only thing that matters

avliswebadmin
Apprentice Scholar

Post by avliswebadmin » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:26 pm

Is it tied to any one service or task that you can see when you sort that column in task manager?

Deider
Senior DM
Senior DM

Post by Deider » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:45 pm

Thanks for the suggestions - I'm in the process of backing up files and will try to reinstall Windows today. If that doesn't work... new HD time I guess.
avliswebadmin wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:26 pm
Is it tied to any one service or task that you can see when you sort that column in task manager?
Doesn't seem to be. Initially it looked like Norton was causing it, but it persists even if I disable that. :cry:
I like gnomes.

gutemensch
Senior Assist DM
Senior Assist DM
Timezone: -6
DM Avatar: Mishlekh

Post by gutemensch » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:51 pm

Anything I build I turn off the index/searching features. Waste of resources if you ask me.

Gorgon

Post by Gorgon » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:51 pm

Hard drives don't work harder when they fail. You will get very noticeable signs and errors on screen.

At least do a full disk check and check for bad sectors before you think about replacing it. If it finds any unreadable sectors or ones it has to repair, then I'd worry.

1-2 TB SSDs are getting cheaper and cheaper these days but don't throw away a good drive.
"God not only plays dice, he throws them in the corner where you can't see them."

Sprucing up ye olde NWN | Modifying nwn.ini and nwnplayer.ini | ~Avlis Theme Song~ The only thing that matters

Korennya
CCC
CCC
Timezone: EST

Post by Korennya » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:02 am

I’ve had a number of drives fail in the same manner. Very high disc activity but extremely low actual transfer rates.

I’ve also had a bad sata cable cause that issue too.

You can also use programs like hwinfo to graph access time vs data transfer. Not sure if that program will show you the smart status.

avliswebadmin
Apprentice Scholar

Post by avliswebadmin » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:22 am

If there's any suspicion of hd failure, its always good to start backing up what you want anyway. Learned that the hard way more than once!

Tel
Apprentice Scholar
Timezone: GMT-5

Post by Tel » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:38 am

I have seen the Windows 10 issues which have come back after automatic updates there are a few fixes out there depending on the specific cause just be aware of what you are doing when updating the registry or similar fixes.

It also doesn’t hurt to backup in case it is something going wrong with the drive.
Teleniel (Rockfall Trading), Artemis Hornbow (Hornbow Archery), Tomnan (Outsider's Arcana)
Kaaran (Justicar of Toran), Agatte Grantie Carver, Shigo

Gorgon

Post by Gorgon » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:24 am

Korennya wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:02 am
I’ve had a number of drives fail in the same manner. Very high disc activity but extremely low actual transfer rates.

I’ve also had a bad sata cable cause that issue too.
Be sure of the reason for the failures before buying and reinstalling things. ;)

Deider
Senior DM
Senior DM

Post by Deider » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:42 pm

Thanks everybody for offering advice. Turns out it was a hardware issue, and thankfully my laptop was still under warranty so I shipped it off awhile back and a week later it was returned and now I am back in action :D
I like gnomes.